Once you enabled remote access to your computer using this webpage, you can manually configure Remote Desktop Connection to connect using the Gateway. For this:
1. Open the Remote Desktop Services HomePage from here;
2. Click on the link "Generate a .rdp file to connect to a PC from outside CERN" ;
3. Put the computer name into the pop-up then click ok;
4. Click on Save as, confirm the location then click open;
5. On the Window Security window put your credential then click ok.
If you want to log on to the target computer with a different account from which used for the gateway, follow next steps:
1. Right-click on the RDP file icon, click edit ;
2. Go to the "Advanced" tab and click on the button "Settings" in the "Connect from anywhere" section;
3. Verify "Use these TS Gateway server settings" option is selected and the Server Name text field has the value "cerngt.cern.ch";
4. Select "Use my TS Gateway credentials for the remote computer" checkbox at the bottom if you want to log on to the remote computer with the same account, otherwise deselect it;
5. Click "OK" and then "Connect" to open the connection. Note also that you can save the settings in the RDP file using the "Save" button on the "General" tab.
Only accounts associated with physical people (i.e. accounts that can be used to access CERN administrative applications, for example EDH) are authorised to connect to the Remote Desktop Gateway! A service account will not be accepted on the gateway.
You can use use one account to authenticate on the gateway and then another account to connect to the target PC. For this, follow the steps described above, and it the last step clear the "Use my TS Gateway credentials for the remote computer" checkbox, as shown below (in more recent versions it will be "Use my RD Gateway credentials for the remote computer").