Enabling connection via Remote Desktop Service
Remote Desktop Gateway enables you to connect to your CERN computer from outside of the CERN network, for example from home or from a duty trip. It is also a convenient way to resume the work you started on your Office PC.
Connection between the external computer and the Gateway is encrypted (similar to ssh-tunneling) and when a user tries to connect, his/her credentials are verified both on the Gateway and on the target PC. The Gateway will block any unauthorized connection.
Your CERN computer must be:
- Running (not hibernated or on stand-by),
- Connected to the network (GPN) and running Windows,
- Member of the "cern.ch" domain.
The computer from which you are trying to connect must also be running Windows.
To enable the connection via Remote Desktop Gateway and to specify who is authorised to connect, please use this page: Manage the Remote Desktop Connection Access For a Client PC.
You need to be listed as the main user or responsible for the PC to be authorised to use this page.
NOTE : Only PRIMARY account are allowed to access through the TS gateway
Follow these instructions when using this page:
1. Enter the name of your computer and click on the "View" button:
2. Make sure that your username is on the list of users allowed to connect (if it is not, add it in the "New member" text box and click on the "Add" button). Then use the the "From the Internet" link. This link lets you download a pre-configured RDP file defining a Remote Desktop Connection via the Gateway.
3. If you want to remove access permission for a user present in the Users List, select it and click on "Remove selected" button
4. When you run the RDP file be ensure to prompt your login name followed by the domain
NOTE: You can add either your account or an e-group as member
The above-mentioned page is available from outside CERN, so you can also use it to later retrieve the RDP file.
You must install SafeSign from CMF on your remote machine in order to use smart login.
Please note that if your CERN computer is not running, CERN Helpdesk will not be able to turn it on for you!