Radiatation Protection Group (DGS-RP)
The Radiation Protection Group (DGS-RP) of the HSE Unit ensures that personnel on the CERN sites and the public are protected from potentially harmful effects of ionising radiation linked to CERN activities. The DGS-RP Group fulfils its mandate in collaboration with the CERN departments owning or operating sources of ionising radiation and having the responsibility for Radiation Safety  of these sources.
The Radiation Protection Group:
develops and maintains tools, instruments and methods appropriate for the assessment of radiation hazards and risks particular to the CERN installations;
provides expert advice and technical support to departments and to the CERN management in all matters of radiation protection;
manages the conditioning, interim storage and elimination of radioactive waste;
is in charge of the Organisation's regulatory framework in matters of radiation protection;
collaborates with CERN’s Medical Service.
- assesses the hazards of ionising radiation and radioactivity from existing and future CERN installations and their associated risks for personnel and members of the public;
- defines protective measures against radiation hazards based on the justification and optimisation (ALARA) principle;
- monitors the implementation and the effectiveness of the protective measures;
- authorises (suspends) the operation of an equipment, installation or activity generating ionising radiation in case of compliance (non-compliance) with CERN’s radiation protection rules;
The Radiation Protection Group specifies, installs and operates on behalf of CERN:
- the radiation monitoring systems for ambient dosimetry;
- the spectrometry laboratories for operational radiation protection and radioactive waste management;
- the personal dosimetry service to monitor individual doses of radiation workers;
- the calibration service for radiation protection instruments to ensure the metrological traceability of measurements;
- the pre-conditioning facility for radioactive waste and interim storage facility for radioactive waste.
 For the definition of the terms “Radiation Safety” and “Radiation Protection”, refer to “Definitions”
Take Part !