Although there is no beam in the accelerator chain since March 2013, the whole CERN site accommodated a hive of activities, with large-scale works to improve the infrastructures and prepare for the future.
A lot of work has also been done in and around the PSB machine and its control system.
Major maintenance work is completed to improve installations.
Numerous projects have been accomplished:
- New access system with new biometrically controlled access points
- Replacement of all extraction transfos (to improve accuracy)
- Rings: Turn by turn acquisition of ring pick-ups for orbit measurement (multiplexed per ring)
- Installation of 32 additional "LHC-type" BLMs in the rings
- New power supplies for the multipoles
- New digital RF Low-Level RF System
- Installation of 4 additional modules of the Finemet Test Cavity (on ring #4 > for higher RF power)
- Civil engineering: new cable trenches and openings in wall around BI line (to prepare Linac4 cabling campaign)
- Crane renovation
- Complete alignment of the PSB rings
- New electronics for SEMgrids
- Timing system changes (MTG, timings signals, ...)
- Controls changes (~80% front-end software)
- Cable clean-up campaign
In the coming weeks, the Booster will be prepared to wake up again... invigorated!
For more detailed informations:
PSB LS1 coordination meetings: http://indico.cern.ch/category/4504/
LS1 committee meetings: http://indico.cern.ch/category/4838/